A New Year means: NEW. YEAR. RESOLUTIONS! And hopefully this year you’re planning on keeping yours. Getting more exercise and eating healthier/living a healthier life is usually the #1 resolution people have. And there is seriously no better place to keep that resolution than in Austin. Not only is there a ton of outdoor activities that you can do solo, like hiking the Barton Creek Greenbelt, kayaking Lady Bird Lake, cycling, swimming, running, etc. But there are also great fitness programs available in this great town.
If you’re from Austin you’re probably familiar with the concept of donation-based yoga at Black Swan. But donation-based fitness boot camps? Now that’s a new idea you should definitely take advantage of in 2014.
Recently named the ‘Best Outdoor Workout’ and ‘Best Boot Camp’ of 2013 by Austin Fit Magazine, Stronghorn Fitness is on the forefront of this new movement with their increasingly popular ‘Saturday Sweat Sessions.’ The concept is pretty simple; just show up at the Austin High School track at 10am with a yoga mat (or thick towel) and some water. No prior signup is required.
The workouts change weekly, but here’s an idea of what the hour will look like:
- 10-15 minute dynamic warm-up (walking lunges, squats, jumping jacks)
- 18-20 minute circuit style workout and high intensity interval training
- 10-15 cool down with yoga, stretches and breathing
Needless to say, this is a great way to help you achieve your fitness goals for 2014. And hey, maybe you’ll make some new friends in the process!
2014 could be the year for CrossFit. CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program with the aim of improving muscular strength, cardio-respiratory endurance, and flexibility. It advocates a perpetually changing mix of aerobic exercise, gymnastics (body weight exercises), and Olympic weight lifting.
This type of workout is done by gyms all around Austin, but they are also done by many fire departments, law enforcement agencies, and military organizations including the Royal Danish Life Guards, as well as high school and college sports teams.
CrossFit Gyms around Austin:
- BVM CrossFit—6711 Burnet Ln.
- CrossFit Austin—8708 S Congress Ave #180
- CrossFit Central—6205 Burnet Rd.
- Woodward CrossFit—13800 Quitman Pass
If you’re looking for a different kind of workout, look into Ballet Austin. If normal workouts don’t interest you, getting fit through dance is an excellent alternative.
They offer great classes that will sure get you sweating! You can sign up for ballet, hip hop, modern dance. Ballet Austin even offers classes that combines fitness dance with Pilates! There are no membership fees, this is just a place where anyone can go dance, get fit, and have fun!
In addition to special dance opportunities Ballet Austin also provide workshops on lifelong health and wellbeing topic. It’s a great place to come dance, get fit, and have fun!
- LOCATION: 501 W. 3rd St.
- PARKING: If parking is not available in Ballet Austin’s lot, FREE DAYTIME PARKING IS AVAILABLE AT CITY HALL: Ballet Austin validates parking in the parking garage underneath Austin City Hall, 301 W. Second Street. The garage entrance to the City Hall parking garage is located on the East side of the building on Lavaca Street (one way street running North). Enter the garage from the left lane and follow the signs to visitor parking.
So really you have no excuse to not get more active this year. You have so much available to you, so it’s up to you to get off that couch and start moving! Make 2014 a great year for your health and your fitness, and let Austin get you there.